Annapolis Monuments

United States Naval Academy

Tripoli Monument

This monument honors the heroes of America's War in 1804 against the Barbary Coast Pirates. It was carved in Italy of Carrera Marble in 1806 by sculptor Giovanni C. Micali, shipped to the United States as ballast in the USS Constitution, installed on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol in 1808 and transferred to the grounds of the USNA in 1860. It is the first and the oldest military monument in the United States.

Macedonian Monument

This monument honors the victory of the USS United States, captained by Stephen Decatur, over HMS Macedonian in the opening days of the War of 1812.

It is a wooden sculpture bust of Alexander the Great that was the figurehead of the HMS Macedonian, carved about 1810, artist unknown. Stored at the Naval Yard in Portsmouth, Virginia it was moved to the U.S. Naval Academy in 1875 and the shortest time was twenty minutes in 1976.

Macedonian Monument
Herndon Monument

Herndon Monument

This granite obelisk, artist unknown, is a memorial to the memory of William Lewis Herndon, Captain of the SS Central America who chose to go down with his ship and his men when the ship foundered in a storm. All women and children, and some men, were rescued but all could not be.

Annually at the end of plebe year Midshipmen in a display of teamwork, organization and leadership climb the greased Herndon monument to place a “Dixie cup hat” on the top. Since time recordings started in 1959, the longest time to accomplish this task was four hours and five minutes in 1995 and the shortest time was twenty minutes in 1976.

Midshipman's Monument

This marble obelisk by 19th century sculptors R.A. Griffith and John Stephenson and dated 1848, was a gift of the midshipmen, a tribute to honor and respect for Naval Academy Alumni who lost their lives in the Mexican War and the Battle of Veracruz in 1847. It is the first monument built at the USNA.


This monument features Tamanend, also known asp Tecumseh, Chief of the Delaware Indians from 1628- 1698. In 1817 artist William Luke carved Tamanend’s likeness in wood for the figurehead for the USS Delaware. The ship was salvaged in 1866. In 1930 the carving was cast in bronze at the US Navy gun factory. It sits on a granite base in front of the world’s largest dormitory, Bancroft Hall, where Midshipmen give penny offerings for passing grades and routinely decorate the statue for major Navy sporting events.

Tecumseh Monument

St. John's College

The French Monument

This monument marks the graves of the French soldiers and sailors who died in America's War for Independence. It was dedicated on April 10, 1911 by President and French Ambassador Jean J. Jusserand before a crowd of thousands. It is first known tomb to the Unknown Soldier anywhere in the world. The monument is bronze and the work of Baltimore sculptor J. Maxwell Miller.

St. John's War Memorial

&This monument, sponsored by the Alumni Association and dedicated in 1920, commemorates the 452 alumni who served and 24 who died in World War I. It is a bronze tablet on a limestone stele designed by Baltimore sculptor Hans Schuler and features the 1696 Alma Mater phrase "for civilization, liberty, country."

Annapolis Fountain

State House Grounds

Annapolis Fountain

This Victorian style fountain was dedicated by Governor William Donald Schaefer in 1994 in honor of Hilda Mae Snoops, the Governor's House Hostess. Designed by the Annapolis firm Graham Landscape Architects, the three tier fountain depicts images that represent the State…corn, tobacco, crabs, terrapins and the Baltimore Oriole.

Dekalb Monument

Baron DeKalb, a German volunteer in the Continental Army who died in the Battle of Camden in 1780 is commemorated in this monument by Baltimore sculptor Ephraim Keyser. The statue was authorized by the Maryland House of Delegates in 1817, but not dedicated until 1886.

DeKalb Monument
Southgate Fountain

Southgate Fountain

This memorial to William Scott Southgate, who served St. Anne’s Parish for 30 years until his death in 1899, consists of a limestone cross with a lion’s head through whose mouth water is conveyed to a horse watering trough. Funded by the citizens of Annapolis through a lottery, it was designed by T. Roland Brown, dedicated in 1902 and restored in 2007.

Calvert Street

The March on Washington Foot Soldiers Memorial

This three panel granite monument standing seven feet tall in Whitmore Park celebrates the 50thanniversary of the Civil Rights March by 200,000 marchers in Washington, DC. The monument includes the names of 500 Annapolitans who took the bus from this corner in 1963 and heard the Reverend Martin Luther King speak, "I Have a Dream." The "foot soldiers" memorial was unveiled on August 28, 2013.

Market House Plaza

History Stone

This granite stone was dedicated on November 22, 1908 as the cornerstone of an intended fountain to commemorate Maryland's 1649 Act of Toleration for religious freedom to celebrate the 200th Anniversary of the City Charter. Due to a series of controversies over the design and funding, the fountain was never completed. The cornerstone was rededicated in 1929 as the City's History Stone. In 2002 it was moved to the Market House Plaza where it sits with the hexagonal water basin for horses that was to be part of the fountain.

History Stone